Our Leaving Care Team will work with young people who are 16+ and in care, through their leaving care journey up until the age of 25.
Leaving Care Eligibility
If you have been in care for 13 weeks without a break and are in care on or after your 16th birthday, you have the right to leaving care services.
For young care leavers Reading Borough Council has duties to:
- Support with housing
- Appoint a personal Leaving Care Advisor
- Assess your needs and provide support accordingly
- Prepare a Pathway Plan and review this regularly to reflect changes in your circumstances
- Contribute to the cost of living associated with studying at university including paying for non term-time accommodation
- Help with the cost of travelling to training or college
- Help to access bursaries to which you are entitled
Your Leaving Care Advisor
Your Leaving Care Adviser will help you to access the relevant services that affect your life such as:
Educational/ Employment Support
We will give you financial help for education/training and employment purposes.
- A Higher Education grant of up to £2000 for the duration of your course, payable in instalments after successful completion of each term
- We are responsible for your accommodation during term breaks. This could include ‘staying put’ with a previous carer or family member, payment of rent in private accommodation or your own tenancy
- We help you access a vulnerable pupil bursary if you are at college or other similar educational institutions in England
- We will help you with the cost of buying suitable clothing for work related and employment opportunities if you show commitment and proactivity towards employment and training
- If you live independently will provide you with an allowance to maintain your apprenticeship, training or education in line with your Pathway Plan. We will recognise your achievement with an incentive including a free bus pass to your place of work or education
- If your work requires specific clothing, equipment or qualifications, we will provide financial assistance to enable you to access these, this includes the Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS)
Learn about your rights and entitlements here.