What is the Virtual School?
- The Virtual School exists to raise educational attainment and aspiration and narrow the gap between looked-after children and their peers. Improving life chances and raising awareness of corporate parenting responsibilities is another key aspect of this work. There is absolute commitment from all members of the Virtual School to support children looked after (CLA) through strong advocacy and collaborative engagement
- The Virtual School champions the educational needs of children looked after, improves their life chances and raises awareness of corporate parenting responsibilities
- The Virtual School maintains a school roll of all Reading’s children looked after including those out of authority, monitors Personal Education Plans, admissions, attendance and exclusions, and has a duty to promote the educational achievement of all looked-after children
- The Virtual School offers training, support and guidance to Social Workers, Foster Parents, Designated Teachers, Governors and Schools
- The Virtual School offers a range of support services for looked-after children which include 1 to 1 tutoring, in class behaviour support, advice and training, advocacy, transition work and placement support. Raising attainment levels, measuring pupil progress and creating bespoke support packages in order to offer life changing opportunities for every looked-after child are at the centre of this work