In-Year Admissions

In-Year applications can be submitted for children of school age requiring admission to a new school.

You can apply for admission if you are new to the country or returning to the UK, moving into Reading or if your child is already in a school but you are requesting a move to a new school.

Please read the In-Year Admissions Guide for more information on the process.

The Primary School Admissions guide 20/21 and Secondary School Admissions guide 20/21 are the relevant guides to refer to for any in-year admission during 2020/21. Please do not refer to the 2021/22 guides.

Should you have any further queries, place contact the school admissions team via email

How to apply

Applications can be submitted on our online In Year application form. You can list up to 4 schools, in order of preference.

You can choose any state school, even if it isn’t in our borough. If you wish to apply for a school outside of the borough you will also need to contact the relevant local authority and apply using their form.

You can find your designated area school(s) by visiting the My Reading website

If you want to apply to an independent school you will need to apply to the school directly.

Moving address

If you have moved to the area or are moving to a new address within Reading and would like your child to attend a new school you must make sure you provide the appropriate evidence. Please refer to the In-Year Admissions Guide.

If your child is new to the country, please make sure you read the In-Year Admissions Guide and guidance for applications for overseas children to check your eligibility to apply. Please also read the latest guidance from the Department for Education. If you do not provide the necessary evidence with your application there is likely to be a delay in processing your application.

If you are moving out of Reading or want to change your child’s school to one outside Reading, you should apply to that local authority and let your child’s current school know.

Not moving address

If you are not moving house, but want your child to change schools for other reasons, you can apply using the online in-year admissions form.

If your child is attending a local school and the preferred school is unable to offer a place, your child will be added to the waiting list. Please refer to the In-Year Admissions Guide for information on waiting lists.

If you want to move your child to a different school because of a problem with their current school you should try to resolve the issue with the school first.

If your child is attending a local school and you have not moved home, you will normally be offered a school place from the start of the new term.

Pupil Premium

You may receive priority for some schools if your child’s current school receives pupil premium for them. More information about pupil premium.

Additional forms

Some schools ask you to fill in a supplementary form in addition to assess where you rank in accordance with their oversubscription criteria. You do not have to complete this, but it may affect your place on their waiting list.

Ranking considering Pupil Premium

All community schools within Reading Borough give priority to children in receipt of Pupil Premium. You will need to complete the In-Year Supplementary Form and submit this with your application.

Maiden Erlegh Reading also takes Pupil Premium into account as part of the admissions process, and you should use the separate Maiden Erlegh Reading Supplementary Information Form.

You will need to get your child’s current school to confirm they are eligible for Pupil Premium by stamping the supplementary form. Please contact the school if you are not sure whether they get this funding for your child.

If you declare your child to be in receipt of Pupil premium on their application but do not submit the form, it cannot be ranked accordingly.

Ranking considering religion

The following schools take into account religious affiliation in their oversubscription criteria. Please complete the SIF (if you think it applies to your child) and return it directly to the school in question.

English Martyrs Supplementary Information Form

New Christ Church Supplementary Admission Form

St Anne’s Catholic Primary School In-Year Supplementary Form

St Martin’s Catholic Primary School Supplementary Form

Blessed Hugh Faringdon Catholic School Supplementary Form

Schools you must apply directly to

If you would like a place at the following schools, please apply directly to them.

If you list one of these schools on your application, it will not be processed by the School Admissions team.



Fair Access Protocol

Brighter Futures for Children, on behalf of Reading Borough Council, as required by the School Admissions Code 2014 (paras 3.9 to 3.15) has a Fair Access Protocol which assists local authorities to place students in schools.


If you are not offered a place at a school then you will be advised of your right of appeal.