Local area inspection of the effectiveness of SEND in Reading
Ofsted and the Care Quality Commission (CQC) will carry out an inspection of Reading local area’s effectiveness in identifying and meeting the needs of, and improving outcomes for, children and young people who have special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) from 21-25 June 2021.
The inspection will evaluate how effectively the local area:
- Identifies the needs of children and young people with SEND
- Meets the needs of these children and young people so that their outcomes and chances of participating fully in society improve
The views of children and young people with SEND and their parents and carers will be gathered during visits to several early years settings, schools, colleges and specialist services. These views are critical to the inspection process.
There are several ways in which children, young people, parents and carers can engage with the inspection process and contribute their views:
- A survey of parents and carers is now live until 11.59pm on Tuesday 22 June and can be found online at: https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/ReadingLasendInspection/
- Parents and carers can email their contributions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Parents and carers will have an opportunity to speak to inspectors when they visit a range of settings during the week of the inspection
A letter has been sent to all schools in Reading to send on to parent carers for children and young people with SEND. You can view the letter here.
The focus of the inspection is on the effectiveness of the local area since the introduction of reforms in September 2014.
Following the inspection, Ofsted will publish its findings in a letter, setting out briefly the context of the inspection, the evidence gathered, any strengths and weaknesses and areas recommended for improvement.
Information on local area duties toward children and young people with SEND can be found on the Department for Education’s website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/send-guide-for-parents-and-carers